Effective date: September 28, 2018
Victor (the “Company”) strives to protect the privacy and the confidentiality of personal information that we process, including that of visitors to this website (the “Site”). This Privacy Statement explains what personal information we collect through this Site, how we use, share, and protect that personal information, and what your rights are with respect to your personal information that we gather.
The Privacy Statement is subject to change at any time. If we make changes to this Privacy Statement, we will update the “Effective date” at the top of this page. Any changes we make to this Privacy Statement become effective immediately, so you should review this Privacy Statement regularly for changes.
Scope of this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement applies solely to data collected via the Site, www.victorinsurance.ca, and websites we control that link to this Privacy Statement. We gather this information when you
- Visit or use our Site
- Provide us with the information required to fulfill the services of this Site
- Send messages to us through this Site
- View or click on ads or other online content
- Create an account
Please note that this Privacy Statement does not apply to:
- Information we collect through other sources: The Privacy Statement does not apply to information we may collect about you through other means (for example by phone or in the context of a direct client relationship), although such information may be covered by separate privacy policies.
- Company Career Candidates: You can search for and review postings about job opportunities on our Victor Career Opportunities page. To apply for a position, you must navigate to and sign into a separate global recruitment website. Our Careers Page and recruitment website are not covered by this Privacy Statement, so please review the privacy statement specific to those websites.
- Children: This Site it not intended for children, and we do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose information of children under the age of thirteen (13) without the consent of their parents or legal guardians. In an instance where such information was collected, it would be purely accidental and unintentional, and we will promptly remedy upon notification.
What Data Do We Collect?
"Personal information" is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
The personal information we collect through the Site falls into two categories:
- Information you voluntarily provide to us on the Site.
- Information gathered via automated means as you navigate through the Site.
Information Provided by You or Those You Authorize
In the course of using this Site, you may choose to provide us with information to help us serve your needs. For example, you may complete a submission on the “Contact Us” page with your name, e-mail address, telephone number, and street address. We ask that you refrain from entering any personal information into the free-entry text box provided for your questions.
We also may obtain information about you when you apply for insurance or submit insurance related claims via this site. The information is provided to us by your insurance agent or broker, directly by you, or in the case of claims management, by lawyers and insurance adjusters appointed by us. Consent to this collection may be obtained directly from you or through such broker or agent appointed by you or consent may be implied or unnecessary in some cases including for the purpose of claims investigation and management. We collect and process the following personal information:
Individual details: name, address (and proof of address), other contact details (e.g. email and telephone details), sex, marital status, family details, date and place of birth, employer, job title and employment history, relationship to the policyholder, insured, beneficiary or claimant.
Identification details: identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies, or by an insurance provider (e.g., social insurance number, ID number,).
Financial information: bank account number and account details, income and other financial information.
Insured risk: information about the insured risk, which contains personal information and may include, only to the extent relevant to the risk being insured:
Health data: relevant personal habits (e.g. smoking), previous health insurance information;
Policy information: information about the quotes individuals receive and the policies they obtain.
Previous claims: information about previous claims, which may include health data.
Current claims: information about current claims, which may include health data.
Marketing data: whether or not the individual has consented to receive marketing from us and/or from third parties.
Information Collected by Automated Means
We use various tools to enhance your user experience and track users of the Site, including cookies and web beacons. These tools may collect personal information including your IP address and domain name, your browser version and operating system, traffic data, location data, web logs and other communication data, and the resources that you access.
You can refuse to accept and delete cookies by adjusting your browser setting. Please note that refusing or deleting cookies may impact your browsing experience on the Site, or prevent you from using some of its services, and it may result in the deletion of any preferences you have set. For more information on how to reject or delete cookies, you should consult with your browser's or device’s help documentation or visit www.aboutcookies.org. The Company does not use technology that recognizes do-not-track signals from your browser. You can also opt out of Internet based advertising by installing a browser plugin from the third party where available. For more information about interest-based advertising, please see: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
In addition, in the course of seeking network security and consistent service for all users, software programs may be employed to monitor network traffic, identify unauthorized access or access to nonpublic information, detect computer viruses and other software that might damage our computers or the network, and monitor and fine-tune our network’s performance. These programs may detect additional information from your computer such as your IP address, addresses from network packets, and other technical information. Any such information is used only for the purpose of maintaining the security and performance of the Company’s networks and computer systems.
We may combine the information you provide us and information we automatically collect with information from public or third-party sources.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
Victor collects, uses and discloses personal information about you for the purposes of managing your insurance-related needs. This includes underwriting, quotation, policy issuance and related administrative services, regulatory compliance, loss control, claims management and coverage assessment.
We will use the information provided by you in order to:
- respond to your inquiries on this Site (for example, we may send you electronic or written materials or, if you supply us with your telephone number, you may receive telephone contact from us in response to your request)
- administer, improve, and personalize the Site
- In addition to our own analysis, enhancement, and evaluation activities, we work with Google Analytics to collect information about the use of this Site (including how often users visit the Site and what pages users visited prior to visiting the Site). We use this information to maintain and improve the Site. For information about how Google uses the information, see Google’s Terms of Service and the Google Privacy Statement. You can opt out of Google Analytics by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- maintain network security and performance and protect against cyber-attacks
- market our services to you, including ours, those of our affiliates, and those of other third parties
- comply with and enforce applicable laws, industry standards, and our own policies
- verify your identity
- register and service your online account
- provide you with services and products you request
- allow you to manage the services you requested
- conduct research, statistical analysis, survey/demographical interpretation, and other data studies based on the data collected
- contact you when necessary and to respond to your requests and inquiries
- as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent
Who Do We Share Your Data With?
We share or may share your personal information as follows:
- with affiliates
- to enable them to provide services to you or contact you regarding additional products and services that you have expressed an interest in.
- with agents and service providers
- We sometimes contract with other companies and individuals to perform functions or services for us or on our behalf, such as hosting this Site, sending e-mail messages, and making phone calls. They may have access to personal information, such as email addresses, needed to perform their functions, but are contractually restricted from using such personal information for purposes other than providing services for the Company or on our behalf.
- as part of a business transfer
- As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy assets. In such transactions, user information generally is one of the transferred business assets. Also, if either the Company itself or any of the Company’s assets were acquired (including through bankruptcy proceedings), your personal information may be one of the transferred assets.
- to address legal concerns
- The Company may preserve, and has the right to disclose any information about you or your use of this Site, without your prior permission if the Company has a good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of the Company or its affiliates, other users of this Site, or the public; (b) enforce the terms and conditions that apply to use of this Site; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; (d) respond to claims of suspected or actual illegal activity; (e) respond to an audit or investigate a complaint or security threat; or (f) comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental requests.
We will not disclose, share, sell, or otherwise use your personal information without your consent, except to the extent required by law, in accordance with your instructions, or as identified in this Privacy Statement.
Subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice to us, you may withdraw your implied consent and we will inform you of the consequences of this withdrawal. We will need to validate the identity of anyone making such a request for withdrawal.
Third parties to whom we disclose information are required by law and/or contractual requirements to keep your personal information confidential and secure. These parties may not use or disclose it except as reasonably necessary to provide services to you, on our behalf, on behalf of your employer, or to comply with or as permitted by applicable law.
What Steps Do We Take to Protect Your Information?
All information that you submit through this Site is collected, stored, and processed in Canada or the United States within Company-controlled databases. We restrict access to your personal information to employees of ours and our affiliates and to service providers who need to use it to provide this Site and our products or services. We have implemented physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information from unauthorized access. However, as effective as our security measures are, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our systems, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
How Long Do We Keep Your Information?
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which it was collected and other permitted purpose(s), including retention of personal information required by contract, law or regulation. Our retention periods are based on business, legal and regulatory needs with information that is no longer needed either de-identified or securely destroyed.
Cross–Border Transfer of Personal Information
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
Keeping your information accurate and up-to-date is very important. Inaccurate or incomplete information could impact our ability to deliver relevant services to you. Please let us know about any changes that may be required to your personal information using the contact information below.
Questions, Requests or Complaints
To submit questions or requests regarding this Privacy Statement or the Company’s privacy practices, please email us at PrivacyPolicyInquiries@victorinsurance.com.